Oct. 31, 2017, noon
WHERE TO FIND OR BUY CAST IRON
Antique stores and junk stores are great places to find cast iron skillets and other cast iron pieces. You can find Lodge cast iron at the grocery store or places like Walmart and also amazon.com.
New cast iron comes seasoned and ready to use! Just give it a quick rinse and hand dry, and you’re ready to start cooking. Used cast iron might need to be seasoned. Instructions are below.
Use any utensils you like, even metal. There is no chemical coating to damage.
Cast iron can be used on all stovetops, from induction to electric to gas, even on the grill! It also works well on glass top stoves.
Cast iron performs best when heated and cooled gradually, so give it a few minutes to pre-heat before adding your food.
Cast iron retains heat very well, so using a lower heat setting can prevent food from sticking. And don't forget to use an oven m...
Soups and Stews
Oct. 17, 2017, noon
HOW TO MAKE SOUP WITHOUT A RECIPE
From Modern Alternative Momma
1) CHOOSE YOUR FAT
Start with some type of healthy fat like butter or olive oil. This is to sauté any root vegetables or other initial flavors. Pick whatever you have on hand that will mesh well with your flavors. Choose olive oil if you want to make an “Italian” soup with a tomato base, and butter if you are making a cream soup; otherwise it’s a toss up.)
2) CHOOSE YOUR BASE
What do you have on hand? Chicken, beef, or fish stock? Tomato purée? Cream or milk? Choose one — or two. Stock mixed with tomato purée is delicious, as is stock with milk. Or even cream with tomato purée! You choose the flavors you want.
3) CHOOSE YOUR MEAT
If you want meat, that is. Is this a chicken soup? Ground beef (like a chili, or made into meatballs)?&nb...
Sheet Pan Dinners
Oct. 3, 2017, noon
The object of this lesson is to teach you how to make a complete dinner on a sheet pan. Here are some things you need to know:
1. I like to cover my sheet pans with parchment paper. Aluminum has been shown to be connected with breast cancer and Alzheimer's so I don't like to cook on aluminum sheet pans without parchment. If your sheet pans are stainless steel you don't have to worry about that.
2. You can get half sheet pans and lots of other kitchen equipment at AceMart Restaurant Supply. There are many locations. I buy parchment paper there, tongs, leftover containers, etc. Love this place!
3. You can use any kind of meat (even meatloaf) and any kind of vegetables your family likes.
Here are some combination ideas:
- Roast whole chicken, Hasselback potatoes (remember we did these last year), zucchini
- Meatloaf, green beans, red potatoes
- Salmon, Brussels sprouts, sweet potatoes
- Pork tenderloin, asparagus, broccoli
- Chicken thigh...
Sept. 19, 2017, noon
In the Fall, I think of apples. I usually try to teach some recipe that includes apples. Plus, apple pie is definitely a comfort food and we need that right now.
This recipe is from Barefoot Contessa and I have made it over and over using different kinds of fruit. Enjoy!
For the crust:
1 cup all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons granulated or superfine sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 pound (1 stick) very cold unsalted butter, diced
2 tablespoons ice water
1 refrigerated pie crust
For the filling:
1 1/2 pounds apples (3 large)
1/4 teaspoon grated orange zest
1/4 cup flour
1/4 cup granulated or superfine sugar
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon ground allspice
4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) cold unsalted butter, diced
For the pastry, place the flour, sugar, and salt in the bowl of a food processor...